Bow Wow Biscuit day for Wallace and Angus. They love these homemade dog treats, if you have the time they are a great healthy alternative to store bought. The recipe includes brewers yeast and garlic powder and claims to help with fleas. Now I know this is a photography blog, but for a little variety I thought others might appreciate my wife’s recipe below.
For anyone interested here is the recipe, guaranteed to have you’re dog barking for more:
- 2 cups (500 ml) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) wheat germ
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) powdered milk
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) brewers yeast
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup ( 50 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, wheat germ, dry milk, garlic powder, brewers yeast and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, oil, peanut butter and water.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to form a ball.
- Knead for two or three minutes until smooth and well combined.
- Roll out to a 1 inch thickness.
- Cut biscuits with a cookie cutter and arrange on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Transfer to rack and let cool, should be consumed within one month.